Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Jasta 10 part two lt Hans Klein

Jasta 10 part 2

Completed my first aircraft for the three aircraft I am building for Jasta 10. The Roden kit was very tricky build with a lot of parts being replaced otherwise it would not handle normal wargame handling for Canvas eagles. The transfers again were appalling so I used Pheon transfers.  

I am sort of happy, not really 100% with the build. I hand painted the yellow and I had it little too thick but I did achieve the stripey look of hand painted canvas with the white. I nevertheless it will take to the skies and very soon be on the table using canvas eagles rules. The pilot is from Wartime Miniatures ww1 pilot range I commissioned a number of years ago.

The aircraft is Lt Hans Klein, he lead Jasta 10 from the 17th September 1917 until he was wounded in February 1918 flying a Pfalz dxiii. a record of 22 victories, 1 unconfirmed. 

Lt Hans Klein Jasta 10

Lt Hans Klein Jasta 10



cheers
Matt


3 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

A lovely looking model Matt…
I do like the colour scheme…

All the best. Aly

Bluewillow said...

Thank you mate, it is quite striking

Cheers
Matt

Zac "Handbag" Yates said...

Beautiful work Mark, she's gorgeous! Unfortunately it seems the kit company's researchers didn't do such a great job on this scheme - I found this on The Aerodrome forum while researching Klein's Pfalz D.III:
"I would be surprised to learn that Klein flew such an aircraft.

"Klein was wounded, losing the thumb from the right hand, on the 19th of February 1918, and while remaining with the staff of Jasta 10 saw no further combat flying.

"Acceptance of the first Pfalz D.XII types did not occur until sometime in June 1918.

"Jasta 10 did not operate the Pfalz D.XII.

"There is, however, a photograph of Klein visiting the Pfalz factory and standing before a Pfalz D.XII, so, he may well have flown the aircraft outside of an operational situation."