Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Gladiators Dust and Shadows Part one


We are but Dust & Shadows

Terrain Tuesday Gladiator Arena thoughts

Model at the Museum of Jublains


While I was suffering painters block a few weeks back I turned to movies, books and local adventures to put me back on course. All of the options however added some more kit to my painting and construction tables, and some ideas were moved to the front rather than at the back, moj is back happy to say and going through a purple patch now!

On one of the tours we visited our local Amphitheatre at Jublains, the former Roman capital of the Diablintes tribe about 10 klms away from the Maison. This gave me inspiration for two things. One was the Gallic farm buildings (see previous post) and the other was gladiators.

I am yet to build the amphitheatre, however I want it to be around two x two foot tile, oval which will look a little different, with a removable rear wall so I can remove it then also add a straight section and second corner for chariot racing on the big table.

The arena tile will then also fit on my chess table for extra transportable use around the house.
I have six gladiators already completed for around 10 years or so, but also had a lot unpainted gladiators, animals and chariots, so this week I added another 20 odd to the table front and centre, and most will be off the table this week over the coming days while the blood is up!


I am yet to find a suitable set of rules which would be good for French Wargame Holiday evening games, looking at Steve Barbers gladiators set and possibly the old board game set, any other suggestions ?



Jublains Amphitheatre 1st Century AD






Artists Impression of Jublains Arena I will build something like this with removable wall



Cheers
Matt

6 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

Sounds fab!

Aly Morrison said...

That’s going to look rather impressive Matt…

All the best. Aly

Bluewillow said...

Yes I am looking forward to the build

Cheers
Matt

Bluewillow said...

I hope so too mate

Cheers
Matt

James Fisher said...

Interesting that it was an amphitheatre rather than circular/oval

Bluewillow said...

They made use of the sloping ground I think. Further down the hill is wetlands so is suspect it was the only location available as the capital was built on the top of the ridge.