Monday, July 5, 2021

Napoleonic Austrian Army Part 1

Austrian Napoleonic Army part 1


In the late eighties I originally had an 15mm old Glory Austrian army which I sold to replace with Old Glory and Foundry 25mm which never really grew much past a brigade as I had moved back to Sydney by 1995.

In that year I met a bunch of crazy guys in the Australian Napoleonic Society, who were playing 1-20 figure ratio rule set In the Grand Manner. Dean Carpenter really kicked off a arms race that lasted for 5 years at least until I moved south to Goulburn in 2000. At this time I also found two lifelong mates Greg (Unlucky General) who played the dastardly British,  and Raoul, a Italian/Austrian who loved his Austrians so much he eventually built the entire Austrian Army for 1809 at 1-20 in 15mm and 28mm!  


Raoul Palese, my great Austrian adversary,
 MOAB 1997 Light cavalry battle eleven 24 figure regiments per side.


Raoul's Army was all MINIFIG 25mm and a few Hinchcliffe Uhlans (40 from memory) and he continued to build with MINIFIG until he completed his project. Raoul and I played a lot, possibly every week sometimes two or three day games in Campaign season (My holidays). We had some fabulous games on his 30ft table in his shed. On his 80th Birthday I gifted him my Foundry Austrian infantry, two batteries of artillery and a Cuirassier regiment. The 1st Austrian Cuirassiers 6 squadrons strong (48 figs), Hoch and Deutschmeister 48 figs and a battery of artillery for display. This Year Raoul turns 90, I am planning on sending him a reproduction Austrian Flag of his favourite unit the Trieste Landwehr (the pirates), may he continue to roll well!

When I gifted Raoul most of my units I sold the remainder and with the cash replaced a lot with Front Rank figures, ALL of this remains unpainted....….. However this year I intend to start painting it along with a few regiments from Revolutionary Armies range (early pre 1805) Victrix plastics and Perry plastics, plus the new Perry plastic cavalry, predominantly will be for 1805 campaign, but will stretch to 1809 ok. These units will be painted in the grand unit sizes still and be used for General de Brigade rules (or Grand Manner-Black Powder).

After I complete my Baden cavalry and two Prussian Infantry Reserve regiments I will crack on with my Austrians!


cheers
Matt

6 comments:

Norm said...

Matt, I will follow with interest as I have French and Austrian forces (for 1809) that have begged for the wargames table for far too long and they cry for my motivation to stir! :-)

Bluewillow said...

Yes, I need motivation also, so researching helps, reading Napoleon's Great Adversary: Archduke Charles and the Austrian Army 1792–1814, G Rothenburg

Carlo said...

Great post Matty. I’m so pleased to hear that Raul is still going strong and that he is still gaming. I remember his Austrian army very, very well. Didn’t he also have one in 15mm? Please pass on my very best wishes though I think he may nor remember me. Lovely chap.

Bluewillow said...

Thanks Carlo, yes still kicking, we correspond on email as his eyes are shot and he had to give up driving some time ago. I did drop in fir a visit before I departed for France, I fear it may of been the last time we see each other face to face.

Yes he had one in 15mm also, more lingers and support wagons.

Cheers
Matt

Gonsalvo said...

A great story about your freind and his beloved Austrians!
As you know, I love me some Kaiserlicks as well. It helps that I know basic German, whereas my French is completely rudimentary, and that's being generous. Hmm Trieste Landwehr, I don't think I've done them yet....

If you need inspiration, read Gill! I wonder if he'll tackle the 1800 Marengo Campaign, or even better, the first Italian Campaign. We'll have to prod him about those! :-)

Bluewillow said...

I will pick up your recommendation of Gill, would like a good book on Marengo.

Cheers
Matt