Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Valour and Fortitude Napoleonic Game

 Napoleonic Valour & Fortitude

Our second game of valour & fortitude, colour me impressed, we completed a 3 brigade game (2 infantry and 1 cavalry each) in under two hours after set up. 

The rules are simple but do have enough nuances to make it interesting for me, but does get a result. I am loving the speed for morale degradation though the most, the crazy movement distances and interpenetration rules will catch you out if you are not looking for it also. Guns I feel are under powered as per most napoleonic rules, with only 1 die chance on a 4 plus at any distance canister at 18 inches has 2 dice. Otherwise very happy with them considering it is four pages long.

My French mates Philippe and Jean playing French/Nassau vs me. I have my current projects on the table my Prussian and Hanoverian armies.



Philippes Nassauers 









French cavalry fall short when a strategy card is played


counter charge by the Prussian dragoons with free interpenetration of infantry....


Hanoverian line is faltering






 nasty canister does its job and the brigade flee


Hanoverian Brigade breaks and flees



















The Victory brew Coreff, Breton beer!


A good night out, we are translating the rules to French over the next  month or so


cheers

Matt

8 comments:

Norm said...

Lovely, thanks for all of the wonderful shots. I too am enjoying the rules. Artillery in the more modern rule sets do seem to have dampened down effects and here I think that is felt most if the guns come under direct assault - if they hang around they will be lost.

I would like to know more about how artillery historically responded to threat - did they pull out early or did they tend to stand their ground?

Cyrus said...

Great looking game Matt! I have the rules but haven’t had a chance to try them out.

Aly Morrison said...

A lovely looking game Matt…
I’ve had just one game but it was very enjoyable.

All the best. Aly

Gonsalvo said...

I'm du to give these rukles a try solo tomorrow myself!

Bluewillow said...

I think they tended to pull out rather than stand around

Bluewillow said...

Thanks mate, they work well

Bluewillow said...

Cheers Aly, some terms need a rewrite to be clearer but it worked well for such a large game

Bluewillow said...

Great stuff