Monday, September 6, 2021

Caesarian Roman Project Part 1 fort


Caesarian Roman Project 

Part 1 Fort/Encampment

One of my major projects this year is a Caesarian Roman army to match my Gaulois project from last year. My plans are to build 28mm Caesarian Romans additions to my current republicans, I want to do another legion.....either the 6th or 13th, I have purchased most of the figures but need a box or Warlord figures and some artillery additions.

When you play impetus you normally need a camp for your table that the enemy can assault and take, I like to build pieces for all of my armies normally with a small scene that tells a story. With that in mind I purchased some figures and the wall pieces from First Corps Miniatures to make this encampment, with legionaries replacing a wall section and digging the trench deeper as a new centurion has arrived "and we must keep them men busy".

Roman Marching Fort

Roman Fort, the walls are interlaced wood filled with earth


The Roman ditch workers, accessories scratch built

Roman soldiers digging


I do plan on adding the 6 remaining walls and four corner towers and two gates at some stage in the future to make a complete square marching camp for my Punic wars and Gallic Wars roman armies collection. 

We have the remainders of three marching camps from the Gallic wars and Caesar's conquest of western Gaul within 40 mins of the Maison. Two in particular are impressive and were used by successive armies up to the early medieval period. One was located in 2010, the clearing of a forest found the remains of the walls and ditches, they suspect this was the fort that was sieged during Caesar's invasion of the west...... A guided tour is available to visit these forts, the Roman Museum and also wargame the Gallic wars at L'hotel de Hercé in our "Salon de Guerre". 

Full details are here

"walk the battlefield in the morning and wargame in the afternoon"


cheers
Matt

8 comments:

DeanM said...

Nice new project, Matt. Tour looks like something I'd really enjoy - alas, no travelling in my current/near future. Not even going to Hawaii for my mom's 90th birthday in Nov with the current travel hassles/restrictions.

Bluewillow said...

Yes a bit of a challenge at the moment, we are hoping once 80% plus has been achieved some normality will return.

Cyrus said...

Nice camp Matt, I made one too with the Baueda tents.

Aly Morrison said...

A lovely and useful bit of scenery Matt…
It really adds to it by have figures working on it…

All the best. Aly

Bluewillow said...

Yes, I have a second to do for my Imperials, but thinking of a road gang

Bluewillow said...

I have the tents for the centre section

Paul O'G said...

That looks great Matt! I've just put the finishing touches on my initial Caesarian army also, with plans for expansion naturally!

Hope all is well mate.

Bluewillow said...

Cheers Paul, yes this will be my 3rd Republican period army