Wednesday, January 6, 2021

French Revolution cockades

 For the new year I am planning a continuation of my French Revolution project (along with many others) including a set of rules that works for a mid sized skirmish game (60-100 figs).

With that in mind I ordered for Christmas some more books on the subject, three in French and two in English, plusI put aside some cash to spend on some militaria from the period.

 I looked at a number of auctions in England and here in France, set my budget then watched live. One of the items that got away that I was interested in was a number of revolutionary cockades ....they become a little too rich for me very quickly, so I now present the images at least.

Hopefully somebody will find them useful like I will as a reference when painting their miniatures. Note a number of variations including green and double rings.


"walk the battlefield in the morning, wargame in the afternoon"™ 

From Caesar to World War Two


cheers

Matt

2 comments:

Gonsalvo said...

Very interesting! I had no idea of the variations, although I suppose it makes sense, especially in the early years of the Revolution!

Bluewillow said...

Yes lots of variations, I have a half written piece on Vendee/Chouan chest badges half written also