Thursday, June 18, 2020

King of the Visigoths Alaric II

My painting mojo returned this week, I guess because I am over the hump of plastering, plumbing brickwork and timber work I need to finish so I could move forward on the top floor of the house. I also managed to get some time on the desk not tired which helps.

Hot off the desk (ok been part painted since March) is King Alaric II, King of the Visigoths. I need to add another three cavalry units at least to put a decent army in the field, so I have my eye on a purchase soon.....figure are Footsore miniatures and very lovely they are too


Figures are from the Footsore Miniatures range


Alaric II/Alaricus (Latin) (Alareiks, "ruler of all"), c. 458/466 – August 507) was the King of the Visigoths from 484–507. He succeeded his father Euric as king of the Visigoths in Toulouse on December 28, 484. His capital at Vicus Julio (modern Aire-sur-l'Adour, Aquitaine). His dominions included not only the majority of southern France but also Spain(excluding its northwestern corner)
The border with the Franks was established along the Loire river, Clovis seems to have tested the borders against the Goths resulting in the battle of Vouillé (near Poiters) where Alaric fell, Alain by Clovis in single combat according to Gregory of Tours. 
Cheers
Matt

6 comments:

Cyrus said...

Excellent Alaric and standard bearer Matt!

John said...

Very nice figures and brush work!

caveadsum1471 said...

Splendid looking Alaric! Lovely figure and finish!
Best Iain

Bluewillow said...

Cheers Mick, he is a lovely figure

Bluewillow said...

Cheers thanks John

Bluewillow said...

Cheers thank you Iain