Monday, May 20, 2019

28mm Gaulois army Aulerci Diablintes tribesmen I & Noble Cavalry

28mm Gallic Project

We have the fourth largest Gaulois Oppidium (fortified walled city) in France just a few kilometres from our Maison in Mayenne. Archeologists excavated a large amount of the city when the new motorway skirted the edge of it. Much of its twin ramparts still remain, the outer and the inner wall still have sections over 100m in length and some of the remains are between 3-5 meters in height. The city was once the capital of the Aulerci Diablintes

Also close by 10 kilometres away we also have the new Roman capital city of Jublians, which became the capital of the Diablintes Post 60AD. 

My Gaulois will focus on the Aulerci Diablintes tribe along with the Aulerci Cénomani and Aulerci Brannovices tribes to make up the warbands. The Aulerci tribes were pacified by Publius Licinius Crassus (Caesars Gallic wars) during his Amorican western Gallic campaign. In 56BC they joined the Veneti Confederation against Caesar, but were defeated again by Publius Licinius Crassus. In 53BC  like thier neighbours they sent men to support Vercingétorix during his uprising, they failed to arrive in time to relieve the besieged Gallic army. They rebelled again in 31 BC, 21AD, and finally in 56AD like most of the west France. 
            
I purchased three bags of Victrix naked Gauls, three bags of foot, plus two cavalry bags, I have a few unpainted and part painted Warlord, old glory and crusader command and a few warriors. 
The army will be based for impetus so I need about twenty four bases of infantry (10-12 figures per base), plus some skirmishers and a six bases of Cavalry, so about four hundred figures to paint to face Caesars Legions. So a lot to be done in the next six months

First off the desk are naked Gauls complete












Wish me all the best

Cheers
Matt

8 comments:

Jonathan Freitag said...

Brilliant brushwork! A great start to your project.

Cyrus said...

Lovely painting Matt, the Victrix Celts are superb!

Bluewillow said...

Thanks Johnathon, I am very happy with the Victrix figures they assemble quite easily and are a pleasure to paint.

Cheers
Matt

Bluewillow said...

Cheers mate, must be the 4th Celt army I have built over the years, will be my final one too I think, very happy with the figures and they are a joy to paint

Cheers
Matt

Codsticker said...

Great inspiration- that is exactly how I want to do my Celts.

Adelaide Gamer said...

All the best! I've been telling my grandson the story of the Great Rebellion and Alesia recently, nice to see these warriors.

Bluewillow said...

Thankyou, I hope to really capture the feel of the Western Armorican Gauls.

Bluewillow said...

Thankyou, it is a great project and I lots of inspiration close by to help!

Cheers
Matt