Friday, December 31, 2010

Mithridatic Cataphracts

Pontus, my continued obsession with the east for the 2011 build list. Mithradates IV Eupator was Rome's biggest threat in the east from 120BC to 63BC. Mithridates is remembered as one of Roman Republic’s most formidable and successful enemies, who engaged three of the prominent generals from the late Roman Republic in the Mithridatic Wars: Lucius Cornelius Sulla, Lucullus and Pompey.
My Pontic army has now been completly purchased lead wise and all I need to do is put some paint on the figures, three pike blocks of 24 (two in trousers and armour, one in no armour (ex slaves), two units heavy cavalry both Cataphract, one Pontic and Cappadocian, two units of light cavalry, one Scythian and one Armenian, one four horse sythed chariot probably for the king himself!, Bosporan hill tribesmen warband, thracian mercenary light infantry, mercenary missile troops including cretan archers, Bactrian sligers, and finaly a Galatian warband (gaulish dressed types apparently!). I may add to the army some imitation legionarys (probaly cathaginian heavy inf figures)so the army can cover the whole period.




I have decided to use Greek mythology beasts for all of my unit standards for my pontic army, it is a chellenge freehand but I am happy so far at my first attempt, anybody guess what it is!!!!!

cheers
matt

4 comments:

kendo said...

good one Willow, good to see the digestive infirmity hasn't slowed you down..

Anonymous said...

Nice work Matt. I love the standard.

I'm usurping the subject and not taking away from your beautiful miniatures.

Hey what happen to you posting the Mark Fenlon miniatures before Christmas?

Michael has provided me with quite a few packets of Mark Fenlon, but need the list to sort out the rest.

Cheers,

Helen

Caliban said...

Very nice indeed - it's good to see Pontics in their full glory. Are these 1st Corps figures, by the way?

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Nice looking unit.The face armour is very cool.

Cheers
Christopher