Sunday, December 1, 2019

Plodding through Plaid.....painting miniatures thoughts

I posted the picture below tonight on a number of Facebook forums and had probably the best reaction to a photo for some time. Painting plaid is a daunting task and I have tried over the years to perfect it. The secret is paint flow, and shading highlights. I basically paint and wash like I do for all my models, then highlight, then add the lines, then highlight the squares inbetween. For the fine lines I have tried wet palettes, water, drying retarder and mediums etc, I finally settled on a idea I read on planet models forum using a single drop Vallejo varnish as the medium.  I find it works the best on a wet palette, dragging both together into a mix, too a milk consistency,  add a good brush, preferably sable, I used a 5/0 kolinsky on this piece, but a good 000 will give a satisfactory result as long as it has a good point. Brush washing also helps, as I paint almost every day I wear our brushes quite fast, so I like to wash them weekly so I can get a long service from a expensive sable? As for the lines I lay it down on my finger nail first to ensure it is correct, also I find a good magnifier is required, I use mine for all my painting now my eyes are failing me. I purchased it at a dress makers shop and have the brightest daylight globe I could find.

Hope that is helpful, not a expert at any means, but happy to pass on my tips.



Cheers
Matt

2 comments:

Ray Rousell said...

That does look cool. It hurt my eyes trying to focus on the tartan let alone paint like that!

Bluewillow said...

Yes, I use glasses and a magnifier

Cheers
Matt