Friday, June 17, 2011

How much is too much ECW?

Well just about finished my second last unit of ECW Irish Pike, while packing away last weeks paint jobs (Gordon Horse & Highlanders)I pondered "how much is too much"?

When I went to place them in my ECW tool box, I found I had a storage problem arising..... so I pulled out all of my painted, half painted and unpainted ECW figures and repacked what I could of the painted stuff into my tool boxes and moved the unpainted and half painted stuff into other storage boxes or onto the work bench.

The amount of lead in this 5 year old project is quite amazing (btw it started as a skirmish campaign), I have about 70 painted cavalry, with about 30 unpainted Scott lancers and dragoons to do, 9 fully painted pike and shot blocks of 24-32 figures, 96 highlanders, three part painted tercios, and two warlord plastic regt boxes, about 10 guns including two part painted and 30 odd club men which still need to be completed also.

Altogether a lot of figures, I should not be that surprised as this army reflects most of my collections, about a third too a half painted, a third part painted and a third bare metal. Granted this army has a lot of painted figures but I do every now and then ponder when should I stop.

Some of the guys in the club are interested in doing 30 years war, should I just sabot my bases for our Might and Reason adaptation " A Forest of Pike", or do I go and buy a few more boxes or warlord minis add some more floppy hats and feathers and add to the collection????

Pondering is dangerous stuff.................

5 comments:

kendo said...

very crowded there willow..a bit more crowded than I envisage..

Bluebear Jeff said...

I think that the only real question is . . . "are you still enjoying continuing to build your ECW forces?"

The answer to that should clear things up for you.

There are those of us who focus on one (or two) specific periods . . . and others of us who build many different periods. Neither is wrong. Do what gives you pleasure, sir.

As to the 120x120 basing, it seems overly crowded to me, but I'm not there . . . and opponents often need to be accommodated.


-- Jeff

Ubique Matt said...

That's a big base! It would certainly help with movement though.

Regards,
Matt

kendo said...

that's the plan 120mm x 120mm each base represents notionally 1.000 foot, 500 horse, 8 guns ..or 400 dragoons..half bases for commanded muskets.. the idea is to be fast play large battles.. heavily influenced by the ideas of Sam Mustapha et al..very visual

kendo said...

I was working on a bit looser basing.. 9/10 pike/ command and around 18 muskets..still looks very impressive..