Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sugar and Spice and all things nice

Well Australia's largest wargames convention CANCON (Canberra Convention) has come and gone and its time to take stock of the purchases and sales.

I thought it was busier than most years on the numbers on Saturday and Sunday was quiter, however the buyers seemed to have stayed away or kept thier money in thier pockets, just looking at my turnover from previous years.

Since the advent of the Asian painting services it has become harder to move painted armies and I only successfully moved one army on out of five, lots of individual miniatures and vehicles went and I sold off a lots off terrain. FOW vehicles were still popular along with well painted warhammer, 40k and warzone.

I was acting as an agent for Wartime Miniatures and sold a bunch of modern Afgans, Taliban, Australians, SAS, and lots of ww2 support weapon packs. The Vietnamese and the Cold War amercians also had a few buyers.

I also had a restricted budget this year (less than a grand)as I had spent too much on Christmas!!! I still however manged to pick up a few bargains, on the bring and buy I picked up the score of the show IMO 120 Perry and Foundry AWI figures for $65 I am still amazed by this now! I also picked up some 28mm Gripping Beast cathaginians and some A & A Late Roman infantry. On the Retail front I bought a bunch of Crusader figs to flesh out some units I already have and add to some armies for variation, and some ECW buildings to add to my collection.

On the planning and painting front not much to report except some upcoming Pontic pike and a sythed chariot, some 7YW stuff and some Imperial Romans. Pictures to come this weekend.

cheers
Matt

3 comments:

  1. That's the trouble with shows just after Christmas, not a lot of people have spare cash laying around, especailly when its for more lead, I guess we've all got at least £100 worth of unpainted figures already stuffed in our draws. I know I have. With the price of lead 25mm figures its somtimes a little hard to justify spending lots of dosh especailly when the Mrs is looking over your shoulder wanting to re-decorate the living room!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol yes, the art of slipping figures past SWMBO is a art unto itself!!!!

    In my case it is my daughters bedroom and the kitchen!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blue

    What was the bring and buy like this year? Last few years it has been fairly low key.

    If you have any AWI leftovers we maybe able to do a deal?:)

    ReplyDelete