Monday, August 23, 2010

Victory without Qauter




The guys at the Goulburn Valiant Stormer’s are throwing around some ideas for the big project next year, a few of us think be 30 years war could be a possible front runner, as the warlord plastics lend themselves nicely to the period (still some discussion and dissention in the ranks as to basing conventions though), so with that thought a number of us have started to play test some rule sets. On Sunday Dave and I (we both normally play Warhammer English Civil War) had a game using the Free “Victory without Quarter” rules.

Using my ECW figs we each had a C in C, one cavalry general , two pike and shot blocks, one trotter and one galloper horse unit, one gun and a clubman for the parliament and highlanders for the Irish Royalists.

The game was played over 4 hours, I really liked the rules as I found they could be a little unpredictable and I liked the different factors for troop types and the card idea, although I think that VWQ will be a little slow for those players wanting to get two games in on a club day. VWQ still gave a satisfactory result and possibly would speed up after a few games; however I don’t think they would handle much more troop wise, two more pike blocks possibly and another regiment of horse each would slow it down even more. My ECW army is a mix of different figures, the Irish Montrose army are mostly Eureka, the pike and shot, horse, a mix of Old Glory, Perry and Eureka Highlanders and a Foundry gun and crew, On the parliment side, all Foundry and Perry except for the clubmen who are Warlord metals.











As the boys want to play a more grand tactical game I think VWQ will not be suitable for what we have in mind, although I would happily use VWQ for ECW. The next rule set we will play test is the Baroque set from the guys who wrote impetus.


Cheers
Matt

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Bit of Tacking!

Last club meet Greg and I enjoyed a day of playing “Form line of Battle” by David Manley using Langton’s lovely ECW/Dutch wars 1/1200th scale ships. Greg made up some nice playing cards, some smoke markers (see http://unluckygeneral.blogspot.com/2010/08/baptism-of-fire-and-water.html#comment-form ) a broadside distance rod and some very useful data sheets. Greg also has solved the transport challenge of heavy MDF boards with the use of large framed art canvas which he has painted a great green blue sea upon, and as it is tight the ships easily move upon it.
We played two engagements in the first Greg played with his Dutch Kromster and a Frigate, and I played with my British unrated merchant and a Frigate. I managed to gain the weather gauge and sunk the Kromster and heavily damaged the Frigate before lunch.



Gaming resumed after Lunch and Greg used a Dutch armed merchant and a frigate and I used a 4th rate armed merchant (40 guns) and a frigate, Greg gained the weather gauge in this game and eventually sunk my merchant and ran my frigate aground (my own fault really) this whole game was played in a Gale and rain, which funnily enough, was happening outside (perhaps even some sleet).

I was very impressed with the rule set and I think it plays better than GW’s “Trafalgar” which we use for 7YW/ Napoleonic. Greg has finished rigging his ships, adding flags and streamers etc and they look fantastic, his glass bases look good also but as my ships are already based on Langton bases I will not be removing them, I was so impressed I intend getting mine finished this month also.


On the modelling front I am still building my ECW manor which has morphed a little so I can use it for the European continent also as a coach house or the like, WIP pictures below. I still need to finish the stone work before I add the windows and half timber upper. I will also add some hedges, stone walls and perhaps a small garden and dovecote.






This week I have started some 7YW and WSS French which I will post on my 18th century blog “Fine and Dandy”. I also started some NVA/VC Vietnam sculpts and some Britannia Americans which I will post next week.

Cheers
matt

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Germans in the trees

A beautiful winter’s day today in the sunny city of Goulburn, about 13 degrees with no wind, I ventured out of the house and decided to do a re-org of the terrain boxes, after sorting out the buildings and the tree boxes out, I decided to refurbish some of the damaged trees with flock, creating six new poplars and a re-flocking about 15 others, I still need to refurbish about fifty trees, but I need some more rubberised horse hair, so a visit to the local upholstery shops this week is on the cards. I also marked out and cut the base for my manor house and some roman roads which I have been meaning to do, it should be all painted and completed by tomorrow night.





On the painting front I have finished my 28mm First Corps German tribal cavalry, and my last unit of 28mm Fenlon ACW figs Coppen’s Zouaves need flocking. I have also almost finished off my Warlord ECW clubmen, another unit of Foundry pike and shot, some Perry dismounted dragoons and warlord guns and crew, and they should all be on the table this weekend for our ECW club game.






My manor house has been cut out and will be glued down tomorrow, once I have painted the base coat on the base tonight. I have decided to do a fictional house but I have based it on an old Ian Weekly model, but not as big!
Looking forward to the clubs ECW bash this weekend, hopefully I will get some good pictures so I can do an AAR for you all.

Cheers
Matt